Jerzy Haber Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow, Poland invites applications for a position of a Research Assistant in the Theoretical and Experimental Biocatalysis research group.
The candidates who meet the conditions stated in the act “Ustawa o Polskiej Akademii Nauk” dated 30 April 2010 (Dz.U. 2018 poz. 1475 z póź. zm.), art 89. Ust. 4 for the position of Research Assistant are encouraged to apply for the position.
The Bioprocess Development Laboratory, which operates in the Theoretical and Experimental Biocatalysis research group, is a dynamic research centre focusing on innovative research in the field of bacterial fermentations, and mainly specialises in the synthesis of bacterial polymers, called polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs). The laboratory’s activities focus on the development of novel ideas related to modern biorefining, where the biomass or the proteins produced by it are the key product.
As part of the intensive research conducted by the research group, bacterial fermentation strategies are being developed to efficiently valorise substrates from diverse biomass sources. The laboratory aims to create sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions in the area of polymer production by exploiting the potential of bacteria to synthesise biodegradable materials.
In addition, the research group focuses on finding new applications for the resulting PHA polymers, both in the medical field and in the wider industry, including the medical industry. Research is focused on identifying potential therapeutic properties and biocompatibility of the obtained materials, which opens up prospects for innovative solutions in the field of therapy and diagnostics.
The laboratory’s activities are geared towards the integration of theoretical and experimental knowledge, which allows for a comprehensive understanding of biocatalysis processes and the effective application of the results obtained in practice. The research group is committed to collaborating with scientific and industrial partners, aiming to transfer technology and bring innovative solutions to the market.
The Assistant’s responsibilities will in particular include:
- Performing a variety of microbial fermentations (both bacterial and yeast-based);
- Development of microbial culture strategies in bioreactors;
- Scaling up of bacterial fermentation processes to semi-industrial volume (200 L);
- Collaboration with industrial partners and development of R&D project strategies according to partner needs;
- Reporting results and evaluating achievements in the context of project objectives;
- Ensuring effective communication between the team and industrial partners;
- Participate in research planning, analysis of results, preparation of scientific publications and conduct of scientific projects;
- Presentation of research results at thematic national and international conferences;
- Chemical synthesis of compounds with biological activities;
- Operation of specialised laboratory equipment including: UHPLC-MS/MS, HPLC-DAD, GC-FID, GC-MS, 5L, 30L, 200L bioreactors, flow centrifuge;
- Development, validation and verification of analytical methods as part of research projects.